Lab Notes #15: Up All Night

To paraphrase the kids: the struggle to sleep is real. In fact, it’s real for for 1 in 4 employed Americans. Insomnia affects women (27%) more so than men (20%), and the US economy at a tune of $63BN. College students are in the midst of a sleep hygiene epidemic, and successful mediations advise a reduced use of electronics, less frequent napping, and a more regular sleep schedule. A recent study in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine cited improvements in 50.3% of the subjects in the intervention group. And a new study in the UK may shine light on key antecedent conditions for the remaining 49.7%: researchers found an association between childhood behavioral problems and sleep problems (ages 5, 10) and insomnia in middle adulthood (age 42). Their recommendation? Address “severe behavioral problems that persist throughout childhood as potential beneficiaries of early intervention with a sleep health focus.”

These days, fewer Americans are able to sleep like a baby.

Rest assured, this paper will not have the last word on our collective struggle to get a good night’s sleep.

Published by Randal Doane

Living the good life in NE Ohio. I dig science and the written word. Let's build something amazing together.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: